- KINLOCH-LUICHART, a large quoad sacra parish, in the county of Ross and Cromarty; consisting of parts of the parishes of Contin, Fodderty, and Urray; and containing 681 inhabitants. This district, which was disjoined for ecclesiastical purposes from the above-mentioned parishes in 1833, by authority of the General Assembly, is wholly rural; its greatest length is twenty-two, and greatest breadth seventeen miles. The population is all of the poor and working classes, and is thinly dispersed over this large extent, the land being chiefly let out as sheep-walks to tenants who do not themselves reside in the district. The ecclesiastical affairs are under the controul of the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross, and the patronage is vested in the Crown: the stipend of the minister is £120, entirely paid from the exchequer; and he has a manse, and a glebe of the annual value of £3. The church was built in 1825–6, under the act for building additional churches in the Highlands; it contains 310 sittings, all of which are free. There is as yet no parochial school; but a school in which English and Gaelic are taught is supported by the Free Church; and there is a catechist, who was once allowed £8 per annum from the Society for Propagating Christian Knowledge.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Urray — URRAY, a parish, partly in the county of Inverness, but chiefly in the Mainland district of the county of Ross and Cromarty, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Dingwall; containing, with portions of the two late quoad sacra parishes of Carnoch or… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland